SOFT CHEWY ALMOND COOKIES
**GLUTEN FREE** & **DAIRY FREE**
200g Ground almonds
200g Caster sugar
2 Large egg whites
¼ Teaspoon Cream of Tartar
1 teaspoon Almond extract
(Use ½ teaspoon if subtle flavour wanted)
100g Icing Sugar (for rolling only)
- Preheat your oven to 160C. Line a baking tray with parchment.
- Whip your egg whites in a clean bowl until soft peaks, just like a soft meringue ‘Alfalfa’
- In another bowl blend your ground almonds and caster sugar together and mix until combined.
- Add your stiffened egg white and almond extract to your dry ingredients and mix together to form a soft sticky dough.
- Lightly dust your hands with icing sugar. I use a small ice cream scoop like a melon ball scooper or teaspoon and portion into mini golf balls.
- Scoop some cookie dough into your hands and roll into a bowl, then roll into into your icing sugar.
- Put your cookies on a non stick baking parchment or silicon mat and bake for 25 minutes or until they are just barely golden and crackled on top.
- Let them cool on a wire rack and devour!!!
- These are sweet Italian amaretti style cookies, soft and chewy reminiscent of eating pure marzipan so a strong coffee makes a perfect match!