May 19 , 2020
100g Butter (Salted)
100g Caster sugar
1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoons milk
200g Plain Flour
1 Teaspoon baking powder
20g cocoa mixed with 15g melted butter and 1 tablespoon of milk
1. Pre-heat oven to 180C & line cookie tray
2. Melt 15g of butter in 1 tablespoon of milk for a few seconds in the microwave. Add cocoa and mix well. Set aside. (chocolate paste)
3. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add your egg yolk, vanilla extract, then milk, until mixed.
4. Mix the flour together with the baking powder, gradually add your dry ingredients, until the dough leaves the side of the bowl. Divide dough, (it weighs approximately 450g in total ) you want to weigh out 150g of dough to add to your chocolate paste and then the rest 300g is for your vanilla cookie
5. Add your chocolate paste to your weighed out vanilla (150g) and put it back in the mixing bowl to beat until the chocolate mixture is until fully incorporated. This now forms the chocolate dough.
6. Form the vanilla and chocolate dough into balls, flatten and wrap the cookie dough in cling wrap, chill for about 10-15 minutes as it makes life easier when rolling out. Roll vanilla dough between Clingfilm sheets into a rectangle around 7” in width and 8” in length. Repeat with the chocolate dough. Lie each dough side by side both still covered with Clingfilm.
7. Peel back one sheet of Clingfilm from both dough’s and now flip the chocolate dough on to the vanilla dough, you’ll end up with the chocolate on top of the vanilla dough with the Clingfilm still attached, like a Clingfilm sandwich.
8. With the Clingfilm still on, lightly press the surface with a rolling pin, this helps stick both the vanilla and chocolate dough together, peel off remaining Clingfilm. Trim the edges to tidy up…
9. With the short end facing you, roll the dough tightly into a log just like you would a Swiss roll (Vanilla dough still has the Clingfilm on its base to make it easier to roll up) roll your dough in some sprinkles and chill in fridge for 30 minutes
10. Slice about a finger thickness in width with a sharp knife.
11. Place cookie slices on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 10 - 12 minutes depending on the size. Check at 10 minutes they should be baked, slightly puffed up and a little golden around the edges
12. Remove cookies from tray and place on a cooling rack …Devour
TIP Once you split your dough, you can dye your vanilla cookie dough portion with gel paste if you wish and add a flavouring…so colour it green and add peppermint to make peppermint pinwheels! ¼ teaspoon mint extract, squeeze of gel.