May 16 , 2020
BREAKFAST FILO CUPS & SPICY WEDGES
Egg & Soldiers with a twist !!
6 eggs (or double up ingredients for 12!)
375g Filo pastry
(Defrosted about 3 sheets)
50g Vintage cheddar Cheese
1Teaspoon Red or/green/chilli jam/onion marmalade/relish Flavour of choice!
Crumbled feta cheese
Chopped Spinach leaves
Finely slice spring onion
1 Tablespoons Butter
Salt (Seasoning) & Pepper (Seasoning)
1½ Teaspoons Paprika
1 Teaspoon Garlic powder
½ teaspoon onion granules
½ Teaspoon Salt
½ Teaspoon Pepper
1 Teaspoon Sunflower oil
300g Baby Potatoes cut into wedges
- Pre-heat your oven o 180C
- Put your cut potato wedges into a large bowl and toss with 1 teaspoon of sunflower oil.
- Sprinkle all your spices and seasoning into a small bowl and mix well, you can control the amount of seasoning or like me throw it all in on top of the potato wedges and mix well.
- Place skin side down so you have the spine of the potato on the tray and the exposed sides ready to crunch up in the oven. Bake for 40minutes until golden brown and crispy.
- Ten minutes before your potatoes are ready crack on with your breakfast cups.
- Grease a 6 cavity cupcake tray with melted butter or 12 if you want to double ingredients!
- Unroll your pastry sheet from its box and you should have 6-7 sheets.
- Cut each filo sheet in half and then each half into quarters. So each sheet will yield 8 pieces. 4 sheets used for each breakfast cup. Make sure you always cover the filo as you work to prevent the pastry from drying out.
- Brush 4 quarter sheets with melted butter and snuggle each piece into the cupcake tray, overlapping each piece and pressing against the side of the tray to create a filo pastry mould.
- Pierce the base of each filo cup with a fork to let air circulate and prevent a soggy bottom, I brush the inside also with little pesto or relish or whatever you wish and then start layering the flaaaaaavours! Raid your fridge and see what you can come up with, such a versatile recipe.
- I added tiny bite size pieces of chopped tomato, a sprinkling of vintage cheddar cheese, a twist of soft Parma ham, parsley and a pinch of black pepper. Bake for 12 minutes for a wibble wobble egg or 15 minutes for a firmer egg.
- Get creative with fillings… Finely chopped spinach leaves, crumbled feta cheese, Parma ham … caramelized onion and garlic…Kids can make their own maybe with cooked ham or chicken ,cheese & sweetcorn or chorizo, mozzarella and tomato paste … the list is endless!
- POTATO CHEESY FILO BITES
- Heat a tablespoon of butter in a pan and sauté a finely chopped onion for about three minutes.
- Finely dice 400g Baby potatoes and 2 cloves of crushed garlic and add to the sautéed onion, cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Take off the heat and add 100g grated cheddar cheese and about 75ml of cream .Season with salt, pepper and some chopped parsley. Let the filling cool before you add to your filo shells.
- Fill the filo shells with your potato filling and top each with some grated cheese. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes, until browned