May 15 , 2020
BAKED SUGAR DOUGHNUTS
120g Strong White flour
40g Melted butter (salted)
50g caster sugar
1 sachets yeast (7g)
150ml lukewarm milk
2 egg yolks (Not the whites)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
200g Strong white flour
1 tablespoon melted butter
50g caster sugar for dusting
½ teaspoon cinnamon (Optional)
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C
- Weigh out 120g of your strong white flour into a separate bowl
- (200g of flour left behind, will be added later)
- Add 50g sugar to your 120g flour mix
- Then add your sachet of yeast to the sugar and flour mix
- Warm your milk in the microwave for (about 30 seconds)
- Melt your 40g butter in the microwave (about 40seconds until melted)
- Add the melted butter to the milk and then add two egg yolks and mix until blended
- Pour the butter milk mixture over the flour, sugar, yeast mix and blend.
- Cover the wet batter mixture with Clingfilm and leave for ten minutes for the yeast to do its magic.
- Once your timer has ding-a-linged now it’s time to slowly add the remaining (200g) flour, adding just enough until the dough holds together and no longer sticks to the bowl. Knead in the bowl for a few minutes, cover with lightly oiled cling film and rest for 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Turn out the dough onto a floured board and roll out to about 1/2” thick, like a flat scone!
- Cut out using a 2.5inch cutter, keep dipping cutter into some flour as the dough is quite soft. Cut out 12 discs
- Cover with Clingfilm and allow to prove until double in size about 30 minutes. I know it’s a waiting game but soooooo… worth the wait!
- Bake in your preheated oven for 10 minutes or until golden on top
- Once baked let cool on a cooling rack for just a few minutes, while the doughnuts are still warm, brush eat one with melted butter and roll into a bowl of sugar to lightly coat.
- These doughnuts are best eaten on the day they are baked, once they are cold they do lose their va-va-voom! So zap in microwave for ten seconds to revamp and you have yourself a delicious springy doughnut absolutely delicious in every way. Just perfect