Apr 29 , 2020
450g Strong White flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon of caster sugar
1 sachet yeast (7g)
290ml lukewarm milk
1 egg lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 190C/ 375 F/ Gas 5
- Grease & dust your baking tray with flour
- Sieve together the flour, salt in a bowl and rub in the butter. Add yeast.
- Now add your dry mix to your mixer with a dough attachment attached.
- Dissolve your sugar in warmed milk and stir, now add your warmed milk to your dry ingredients & knead to a soft dough takes a few minutes
- Take the dough out of the mixer and roll into a long sausage
- Divide into three equal parts, use a scales if you need to and roll into three evenly shaped dough balls. Cover with lightly oiled cling film and rest for 5 minutes
- Roll each dough ball into a long sausage shape, until you have three long strips of dough.
- Start your plait by laying one tip on top of the next tip of dough until you have a stack secured in place to start your plait.
- Now cross over... left over middle...right over middle... left over middle...until you reach the end and then using the heel of your hand flatten the dough to secure the end and same for the top and tuck underneath to hide.
- Place on greased baking tray and cover with oiled Clingfilm, allow to prove until double in size, about 40minutes.
- Remove cling film , beat egg and glaze
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown and well risen.
- Place on a wire rack and cool and devour!