Breakfast Cinnamon Swirl sponge
120g Caster sugar
225g Self-raising flour
1 Teaspoon baking powder
1 large eggs
60ml sunflower oil
½ Teaspoon almond extract (optional)
60g really soft butter
45g brown sugar
2 Teaspoons Plain Flour
1½ Teaspoons cinnamon
60g icing sugar
1- 1½ tablespoons milk
CINNAMON SWIRL FILLING
- Beat your soft butter, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon in a small bowl until lovely and soft, soft enough so you’ll be able to pipe directly into your sponge.
- Transfer your filling to your piping bag and set aside
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C and line an 8” round cake tin.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together your dry ingredients.
- In a large jug, whisk together milk, eggs, oil & extract (if using).
- Pour your wet ingredients onto your dry ingredients and stir until you have a smooth batter, try not to over mix.
- Pour your batter into your cake tin and this is where the fun begins…
- Starting in the middle of your cake, like a bull’s-eye, pipe your cinnamon filling (that you prepared earlier) in a spiral pattern.
- Slightly submerge your piping bag in the cake batter as you pipe, this ensures the cinnamon flavour is injected right into the cake.
- Round and round you go in a circle as you create that signature cinnamon swirl.
- Bake at 180C for about 30-35mins and your house will fill of cinnamon, sugar and spice and all things nice!
- Once baked, leave in cake tin for a few minutes to settle. Run a knife around the tin and invert on a cooling rack.
- Prepare the glaze, a simple glacé icing. Whisk icing sugar & milk until a smooth glaze. While the cake is still warm pour over the glaze.
- Store in an airtight container for up to three days if it lasts that long!