May 05 , 2020
CHOCOLATE BIRTHDAY CAKE
- 250g Plain Flour
- 80g Cocoa Powder
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 325g Brown Sugar
- 250ml Buttermilk
- 185ml Sunflower oil
- 125ml Strong coffee or
- ( 4 teaspoons instant coffee dissolved in water not boiling, can even be warm)
- 2 Teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- Heat oven to 180C
- Line the base of 2 x 8” tins or 3 x 6” tins
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, bicarb, sugar in a large bowl.
- Whisk oil, buttermilk, coffee, vanilla & eggs together in a jug, then pour the wet ingredients into the dry mix and blend well, getting all the lumps and bumps out .. Boom! batter done
- Pour the mixture into the tins and bake for 30/35 mins until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin until completely cold, this is a lovely soft sponge so handle with care.
- Beat the living daylights out of 250g butter, 500g icing sugar & 50g Cocoa along with 2-3 tablespoons of milk. Whip for at least ten minutes for silky smooth buttercream. It’s much easier to fill and pipe using a buttercream that is light and airy, firm buttercream will tear your cake crumb and your sanity!