Apr 29 , 2020
FRENCH FRUIT GALETTE
- 1x 375g packet of Puff pastry ** Or GF Pastry
- 100g Brown sugar (Caster or granulated is fine too)
- 2 heaped Tablespoons corn flour (If using fresh reduce to one)
- 250g Frozen mixed berries (200g fresh berries if using)
- 1 squeeze of lemon juice (optional)
- 1 Egg ( for glaze) ** OR Soy milk if dairy free
- Sugar nibs for sprinkling (optional)
- Icing sugar (for dusting)
- 2 Tablespoons of Raspberry Jam
- 2 Tablespoons ground almonds
- Heat your oven to 220C
- Unroll your puff pastry ( It takes about 15minutes at room temperature for it to be pliable enough to unroll)
- Put your pastry back in the fridge to chill for 20minutes.
- Once you’re ready to start and have all your ingredients ready and weighed up, take your pastry out of the fridge.
- In a bowl mix your berries, corn flour and sugar along with a squeeze of lemon.
- Prick the base of your pastry just where you’re going to pile your fruit.
- Smear the area now with your raspberry jam as this creates a barrier between the fruit and the pastry and you won’t end up with a soggy bottom!
- Sprinkle your almonds on top of the raspberry jam again to create an additional barrier for soakage.
- Pile your frozen fruit in the middle of your pastry and pile high like a mountain of deliciousness!!!!
- Start folding the edges of your pastry up and over the edge of the fruit so you contain all the fruit like a cage and brush the edges generously with your egg wash.
- Sprinkle with some sugar nibs.
- Drop your temp to 200C just before you put your pastry into the oven
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown of longer, you need to have the pastry golden brown to make sure your pastry is well cooked. The corn flour thickens the fruit ( once you see if bubbling in the oven )
- Once done remove from the oven and let the pastry sit for at least 30 minutes… set a time if you have to! Do not eat it or you’ll end up with a burned gob and an unnecessary trip to A&E!!
- Dust with some icing sugar before serving and a good dollop of ice-cream…
- Yum… Yum… Diddle Dee … Dum…get some in my belly!!!!
**For Gluten free all you need is to change the pastry to GF Pastry and the same for Dairy Free. Use almond or soy milk for glazing.